Deadline: 19 November 2020|
Duty: Dakar, Senegal|
Division: Language Service Division|
Under the supervision of the Revisor, the translator shall be responsible for performing the following tasks: Translate texts from English into French of correspondences, for the institution involving the frequent use of terminologies relating to law, crime prevention, rule of law and other terminologies on money laundering and financing of terrorism
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The incumbent shall perform translation services from English into French of correspondences, for the institution involving the frequent use of terminologies relating to law, crime prevention, rule of law and other terminologies on money laundering and financing of terrorism
- Contribute to the promotion of the use of coherent and uniform terminologies in GIABA documents.
- Ensure an efficient periodic reporting on activities implemented and results obtained to the Director of Administration and Finance;
- Ensure the timely revision of documents;
- Identify changes, trends, inconsistencies and linguistic variations in the various areas of terminology used in the fight against money laundering and financing of terrorism;
- Conduct linguistic research and documentation of multi-lingual terminology publications (bulletins, glossaries, vocabularies, notes and related materials);
- Ensure the maintenance and update of data bases and linguistic terminology materials;
- Efficiently use computer-assisted translation to deliver translation services as may be needed from time to time;
- Undertake, independently, specific missions at the request of the Revisor
- Perform any other task that may be assigned from time to time
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in translation from an accredited/ recognized University;
- 5 years of experience in translation , revision and technical writing;Proven knowledge of computer-assisted translation tools, machine translation tools and on-screen editing tools;
- Sound knowledge of the structure and content of language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar and history.
AGE LIMIT Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the Subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability to encourage, empower and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated with assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting on assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member States development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and take proactive remedial action as required.
How to Apply?
Send your application to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information use this official website: https://www.ecowas.int/all-careers-posted/translator-english-french/