Deadline: 27 October 2020
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Contract Duration: 12 months
Contract type: Traineeship
Reports to (role)
The CCHN Operations Associate reports to the Negotiation Support Specialist in charge of Curriculum.What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Centre of Competence on Humanitarian Negotiation (CCHN) is a common undertaking of five organizations, namely HD Centre, ICRC, MSF-Switzerland, UNHCR and WFP. The aim of the CCHN is to facilitate the capture, analysis and sharing of humanitarian negotiation practices on the frontline to support the efforts of humanitarian practitioners in seeking access and protection of populations affected by armed conflicts and other situation of violence. It intends to contribute to the creation of a “community of practice” among humanitarian negotiators across agencies and regions centered around the specificities of humanitarian negotiation.Purpose
The Operations Associate is part of the CCHN Operations Team comprised of four Negotiation Support Specialists (each covering one region), a Curriculum and Networking Specialist and the Head of Operations. S/he provides administrative and operational support needed for the successful implementation of online and onsite peer support activities offered to the CCHN Community of frontline negotiators, specifically the CCHN pool of facilitators. Main responsibilities
- Supporting the CCHN Curriculum and Network Specialist to screen prioritize and follow-up on requests for participation to the CCHN Training-of-Facilitators (ToF) Program;
- Supporting the Operations team for the coordination and management of the CCHN Pool of facilitators, as well as maintaining an online dynamic community on facilitation;
- Providing support to the CCHN Curriculum and Network Specialist in the communication with CCHN partners in the field of learning and curriculum development;
- Assisting in the organization of online and onsite multi-agency field workshops in close collaboration with the Negotiation Support Specialists, the Communication and Support Team;
- Upon request, providing ad hoc support to other activities of the operations team.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in political sciences, international relations or equivalent;
- Experience in project and information flow management;
- Excellent command of English and French; Arabic and Spanish an asset;
- Knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures;
- Proficiency in planning, organization and data-management software.
Professional Experience required
Professional experience of 1-2 years in the humanitarian sector; field experience a strong asset.Desired profile and skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including good public presentation;
- Good writing and editing skills;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- An eye for detail and a creative mind;
- Proficient in computer skills and online interactive platform (CMS, Zoom, Teams, Microsoft Office, SharePoint, Wrike, etc.);
- Excellent knowledge in MS suite (Excel, Word, and PPT);
- Experience in managing online communities, an asset;
- Ability to work in an autonomous manner in a professional team under tight deadlines;
- Capacity to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport – please upload it on your profile
CLICK HERE TO APPLY> https://career5.successfactors.eu/careers