Deadline: 21 October 2020
Contract Duration: 12 months
Contract type: Traineeship
Reports to (role)
The successful candidate will report to the Movement Security Advisor within the Security and Crisis Management Support Unit.What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
In order to fulfill its humanitarian mandate, it is imperative for the ICRC to have effective security and crisis management that identifies and mitigates against risks that threaten our global workforce, assets, and reputation, and provides the framework for a rapid and professional response when a serious security incident or a large-scale emergency occurs. The Security and Crisis Management Support Unit (SCMS) bears chief responsibility for security policy and the provision of operational support through guidance, training, and field missions, as well as facilitating and instigating emergency procedures. The 4 main functions of the unit are: 1) Research, Analysis and Development, 2) Security and Safety Risk Management 3) Crisis Management and 4) Capacity building. What will you do
You will play a pivotal role supporting the unit with data management, including gathering a wide array of information and data to support the research and policy development work of the unit, including updating and analyzing internal statistics, particularly in relation but not limited to security and safety incidents, preparing presentations and data visualization for internal and global stakeholders.
You will help us to monitor and draw from statistics available externally to analyze the wider trends and developments in security in the humanitarian sector. Among the tools that the SCMS unit provides to assist in the management of security within the ICRC is the Security Management Information Platform (SMIP). You will have the opportunity to help shape this tool and other data management systems in ongoing development.
In the face of operational crises, you will also support the running and minute-and Task Force meetings and of technical working group meetings joined by internal stakeholders and/or Red Cross Movement partners.Who are we looking for
- A recent graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences (Master’s degree an asset).
- Some relevant work experience (including internships, volunteer work) but no more than 2 years of work experience in total (applicants with more than this will automatically be excluded from consideration).
- Insight into the ICRC and its mandate, and the wider Red Cross Red Crescent Movement.
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of security, risk management, or crisis management.
- Experience in statistical analysis and advanced use of Microsoft Excel, including the use of pivot tables. Familiarity with Business Intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau) is a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Sharepoint is an asset.
- Working proficiency in French is an asset, including additional command of any of the following languages: Arabic, Russian or Spanish.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Ability to support decision making and business processes with creativity and rigor.
- Flexible, adaptable and quick to master new tools and concepts.
- Capable of working independently and taking initiative.
Desired profile and skills
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- At ease with research, statistics, and data analysis
- Able to work under pressure
Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport – please upload it on your profile
APPLY HERE> https://career5.successfactors.eu/careers